10.30.2012

Mahler Rocked

This past Saturday Aaron got us tickets to LA Phil at the Disney Concert Hall - on the program was a violin concerto by Korngold (whom we are becoming a fan of) and Mahler's 5th symphony orchestra. Mahler is perhaps the only composer that Aaron and I can both agree rocks, however, this wasn't always the case. I fell in love with Mahler in high school when I performed his 1st symphony and when I tried to convey how amazing Mahler's symphonies are, he simply listened to a few minutes of it and shook his head. Then I made a bet with him (actually we wagered nothing, I just told him to do it) to listen to it 5 times and then decide if it was his cup of tea. I think by the third time through he became obsessed with it - in fact, he then went on to learn about all 9 of his symphonies. Mahler is one of those soulful composers who's works are so intricate and layered that it takes a few times before it grows on you. Once it does it gets under your skin and you too will think he rocks. If you don't know much about Mahler's work you can check out his first symphony here. Korngold's violin concerto was a treat as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment